Note to Prospective Students:
Consideration of a student's request for accommodations generally will not begin prior to the formal acceptance of the admissions offer from Duke University. You are welcome to speak to a SDAO staff member regarding disability related concerns or any of the accommodations and services we provide. The Student Disability Access Office (SDAO) has a process in place for students who wish to be considered for reasonable accommodations which are illustrated below.
For all types of accommodation requests, please follow the steps listed below.
- Undergraduate, graduate and professional students who wish to be considered for reasonable accommodations must identify to the Student Disability Access Office by submitting:
A completed and signed Request to be Consideration for Reasonable Accommodations/Exchange of Information Release form; Request Forms
Complete and current documentation, and if applicable historical records and other materials; Documentation Guidelines
Request forms, documentation and records may be faxed to (919) 668-3977 or mailed to the Director's Attention at:
Duke UniversityConfidentiality: The Student Disability Access Office is committed to protecting the confidentiality of student records in our possession. We retain student records in compliance with both state and federal law, in particular with the Family Education Right and Privacy Act (FERPA).
Student Disability Access Office
Durham, NC 27708
- A preliminary review of the student’s request form, documentation, records and materials is completed to determine if it is appropriate and complete. If clarification and/or additional documentation, records and/or materials are needed, the student is informed and it is his or her responsibility to provide it.
- Complete documentation, records and materials are thoroughly reviewed by the SDAO staff and one or more expert consultants to determine if the student’s documentation supports him or her as being disabled and the requested accommodation as being necessary for purposes of the ADA and ADA Amendments Act.
- When the review of the documentation is complete and an eligibility decision is made, the student is informed in writing.
- Undergraduate, graduate and professional students found to be disabled and eligible to receive consideration for reasonable accommodations should go to “Implementing Accommodations” for the procedures for determining reasonable accommodations and the implementing of accommodations.
- If a student disagrees with eligibility decisions made by the Student Disability Access Office, it is recommended that the student meet with the SDAO Director to discuss questions and concerns.
- If after meeting with the SDAO Director, the student disagrees with the eligibility decisions made by the Student Disability Access Office, he or she has the right to file a grievance/complaint. Information regarding the filing of a grievance and/or complaint is available by contacting the Office of Institutional Equity at (919) 668-6214. Grievances
This Information is Available in Alternate Format Upon Request.
If you have any questions regarding student issues please do not hesitate to contact firstname.lastname@example.org.