Rights & Responsibilities
Responsibilities of Students with Disabilities
- Meet qualifications
- Provide documentation
- Follow established institutional procedures (see steps for requesting accommodations)
- Request accommodations in a timely manner each semester by meeting with the Disability Coordinator
- Notify the Disability Coordinator if there are difficulties securing accommodations or with the quality of the accommodations
- Participate fully in the interactive accommodation process
Note: Receiving services or accommodations at the high school level, at another college or university, or from a testing agency does not necessarily mean that Duke University will conclude that the student is disabled and/or agree to provide the student with the same services or accommodations received at other educational institutions or agencies.
Rights of Students with Disabilities
- Equal access to courses, programs, services and activities
- “Reasonable” accommodations
- Right to File a Grievance/Complaint
Responsibilities of the University
- Give notice of available services
- Ensure that programs, services, and activities when viewed in their entirety are accessible
- Explore and provide appropriate reasonable accommodations
- Ensure that all information will be maintained and used in accordance with applicable confidentiality requirements
Rights of the University
- Identify and establish core competencies and technical standards Request and receive current documentation
- Determine reasonable accommodations
- Deny a request for accommodations or change an accommodation that is listed on the signed Accommodations Agreement in specific situations when an accommodation would change the fundamental nature of the program and/or pose an undue burden.
This Information is Available in Alternate Format Upon Request.