Read&Write Gold is literacy software for either PC or a Mac that can make documents, files, and websites more accessible on any platform or device.
From reading on-screen text aloud to researching and checking written work, Read&Write Gold makes everyday tasks easier. It is a great tool for people with dyslexia and other learning difficulties, anyone whose first language isn't English, or for people that want to augment their writing skills. Users of all ages can access the reading, writing, studying, and research tools they need at school, home, or work. Having text read aloud with dual color highlighting, along with additional support tools, helps every learner gain confidence and work independently at their own pace.
The customizable toolbar floats on top of commonly-used applications to make digital content accessible within programs such as: Microsoft® Word, Google Docs™, Mozilla Firefox®, Internet Explorer®, Safari, Chrome™, and Adobe® Reader.
Highlighted features include:
• Text-to-Speech - listen while your computer reads aloud electronic text
• Screenshot Reader - read aloud any text on the screen, even if this text is not accessible
• Speech Maker - create an MP3 version of electronic text for audio playback
• Word Prediction - compose papers using this tool, which helps improve writing skills
• Translator - translate single words or paragraphs
• Vocabulary List Builder - create vocabulary lists with definitions for studying
Read&Write gold is funded by the Disability Management System and the Student Disability Access Office, and is available to all Duke faculty, staff, and students at no cost.
*You will need an internet connection and your Duke NetID.
To download your FREE version of Read&Write Gold, please visit: https://software.duke.edu/node/409/.
- Scroll down to Products
- Choose Windows or Macand click Add to cart
- Click Checkout
- Complete your Billing Information and Area at Duke (Health System or University)
NOTE: There is no fee. However, you will receive a receipt via email
- Click Continue to next step
- After reviewing your order, click Continue to next step to complete your order
- Click View your orders
- Locate your order on the top of the page and click Download/License Information
- Click Read&Write Gold 11.5 Take Home Installer
- Open the download and double click the Setup.exe file
- Click Yes
- Once the installation finishes, open the programs from the Desktop or your All Programs Menu
- Click Activate (You will not need to enter an activation code)
For Mac User's: If you encounter a error stating "Install is damaged and cannot be opened", please refer to this support page to change your security settings: https://support.texthelp.com/index.php?action=artikel&cat=3&id=167&artlang=en
For a demonstration or questions about usablility, please contact the SDAO at (919) 668-1267.
TextHelp, the makers of R&W Gold, offer many tips and tools to optimize your user experience. Please see the links below for a listing of DYI trainings and additional support: